Wednesday, November 23, 2005

If it's yellow . . .

Most of the Islands in the Caribbean have a lack of fresh water sources. Pretty much the only source is the rain collected from run-off and sent into cisterns.

When I first came to the Virgin Islands about 10 years ago, I noticed many interesting sites, smells and sounds. I travelled by car and boat to other islands in the British/American Virgin Islands experiencing the best in tropical adventure by shopping, eating and relieving myself.

Let me explain, since water is a precious commodity for villas and restaurants there happens to be a protocol for emptying toilets. (not for filling them by the way)

Islanders made signage to help the unsuspecting traveller to conserve water as well as to assist in making 1 & 2 a good experience. It is written on media such as coconuts, palm fronds, and wood crates.

Next to the light switch and the T.P. dispenser what I read and what I can tell you is this:

"If it is yellow,
let it mellow.
If it is brown,
flush it down!"

You still have to wash your hands too. . . All the best!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home